Type4me

by luca
15 comments

Circuito stampato

Ho disegnato il circuito stampato con Eagle cercando di renderlo realizzabile anche con metodi casalinghi (fotoincisione…).

Per questo:

• tutti i componenti sono in package through-hole;
  • è monofaccia (= tutte le piste sono sul bottom layer);
  • la larghezza minima delle piste è di 15mil.

Costruzione

Dopo aver realizzato in casa il circuito stampato o averlo fatto produrre da un service (nel mio caso ho voluto provare l’ottimo OSHPark di cui vi parlerò in un prossimo articolo), saldiamo i componenti partendo – al solito – da quelli più piccoli (resistenze, condensatori…).

Scarichiamo dal repository Github il firmware Type4me.hex.

Colleghiamo il nostro programmatore al connettore ICSP – assicurandoci che Type4me non sia connesso anche alla porta USB – e programmiamo il firmware:

Nel PIC scelto, i segnali PGC e PGD condividono gli stessi PIN dei segnali D+ e D-. Tali PIN non sono 5V tolerant. Verificate quindi di utilizzare un programmatore compatibile o utilizzate l’apposito adattatore di Microchip.

Related Posts

15 comments

Dario 14 gennaio 2013 - 20:16

Well done!
By the way, why CCS?

luca 14 gennaio 2013 - 21:36

Hi Dario,

thanks! I chose CCS mostly because of its great ready-to-use libraries, especially the USB stack. I tried to use the new “XC” microchip compiler but at the moment it’s not very mature and it’s hard to use it with Microchip USB stack so I gave up.

Chris 14 gennaio 2013 - 23:29

This is a perfect solution for me? Any kit availability?

luca 15 gennaio 2013 - 09:58

Hi Chris,

not at the moment… but if you need a pre-programmed PIC or help for building it write me!

zaion 15 gennaio 2013 - 09:11

Good job. Now shrink it and sell it.

lucasvb 15 gennaio 2013 - 09:45

does the keyboard emulation work on linux too?

luca 15 gennaio 2013 - 09:55

Yes: it’s a HID device so under Linux you don’t need any drivers.
Actually CDC drivers are only for Windows, I haven’t tried if you can use “generic” drivers under Linux.

Chris 15 gennaio 2013 - 18:21

Does this have the ability to store multiple pieces of text? For instance, can I store 3 or 4 different items, and then pick which one I want?

luca 15 gennaio 2013 - 20:11

Hi Chris,

not at the moment, the v1 of Type4me was kept intentionally simple… v2 will have more buttons (I think 4) and a GUI (to create complex sequences like the one shown to play MAME).

lucadentella.it – Type4me GUI 15 gennaio 2013 - 23:12

[…] Type4me […]

chris shaffer 17 giugno 2013 - 18:47

Luca,
I’m looking for a device that will enter Ctl-N with a button push. i want to put this button on the top of a bar code scanner. I’m thinking that your device will do this and it wouldn’t be a big deal to make the buttom remote from the board. Your thoughts?

Chris

luca 17 giugno 2013 - 21:09

Hi Chris

sending CTRL-N is not a problem at all! About remoting… I’d probably choose a couple of inexpensive nRF24L01.
If you like, write me an email!

Mike Gordon 7 novembre 2013 - 17:04

Luca,

This device would be perfect for a particular use case: copying a long complex password from a password vault running on 1 PC and “typing” it into the Windows password field on another.

Could we remove the “save to EEPROM” routine and just put a small battery on it to maintain the memory while moving it from one PC to the other? I’d also add an on/off switch to save battery when not in use and to force an erasure of the password. This would also prevent a technician from storing a password permanently in the unit, as sooner or later the battery would run out.

Also, could you add toggles in the GUI for !enter! vs !noenter!! and !save! vs not doing a !save! on each copy?
Mike

Aldo 18 marzo 2015 - 22:46

can I use this device to automatic typing ctrl-alt-canc and user/password for windows7 logging on a specified time?

Thanks,
Aldo from Palermo

luca 19 marzo 2015 - 11:25

Hi Aldo, with some firmware modification, yes. A user has already implemented something similar to automatically change the BIOS password.