enc28J60 and Arduino (11)

luca Sunday December 9th, 2012 67

Today’s tutorial is a bit different: I’m going to show you how to make your ethernet shield wireless!

You can find many Wi-fi shields for Arduino: starting from the official one,  up to shields based on Microchip’s ICs.

Sometimes however it could be easier (and maybe cheaper!) to connect an Arduino to the Wi-fi network using your ethernet shield in conjunction with a wireless router.

I found the TL-WR702N nano router by TP-LINK that, with a cost of about 20€ on eBay, can work also as a wireless client: in this mode the router acts like a “bridge” between the device connected to its ethernet port and a Wi-fi network.

The TL-WR702N router is also very small and you can power it through a micro USB connector:

Here’s how to configure it in client mode:

First, give to your PC a fixed IP address, 192.168.0.10, and connect it to the router using an ethernet cable:

Open your browser and type http://192.168.0.254; login with admin as username and password.

Choose Client mode:

Click Survey to find your Wi-fi network, then type your security settings (password…):

Wait till router restarts:

Now connect your Arduino+ethernet shield to the router; wait a couple of seconds and it will be available through your wireless network!

67 Comments »

1. Amario Sunday December 9th, 2012 at 08:13 PM - Reply

Ciao Luca, io mi sono procurato questo:
    Vobets VAP11G

fa da bridge, lo uso anche per collegare l’ethernet del Blueray
    pagato 27 euro

2. Squonk42 Tuesday December 11th, 2012 at 10:44 PM - Reply

Yes, and if you buy a TL-WR703N for about the same price (or its global export RoHS/CE/FCC compliant sister product, the slightly larger TL-MR3020), you get an additional USB host port where you can connect the Arduino directly without needing the Ethernet shield. For this purpose though, you have to replace the original firmware by OpenWrt, but it is pretty easy.

Actually, you can even use the free Ethernet port to get wired Ethernet access… I recorded a few videos describing the setup:

• luca Wednesday December 12th, 2012 at 08:52 AM - Reply

Thanks Michel!

• Squonk42 Wednesday December 12th, 2012 at 10:10 AM - Reply

You are welcome!

If you have a chance to open your TL-WR702N, I would be very interested if you could take some hi-res pictures of the PCB top and bottom side.

You just have to open the top blue lid gently with a knife, there is no screw, and the PCB is just positioned within the case without screws.

You can close it back again without problem, the operation is not destructive :)

• Reint Monday February 11th, 2013 at 04:23 PM - Reply

Hi Squonk421,

Can you tell some more about. What router i need to get, to do the same trick. because the TL-WR703N is hard to get in The Netherlands. The TL-WR702N is much easier but will it work? And the TL-MR3020 is easy to get but will it work with the thing you explain at Youtube. I have seen on the openWRT site that it isen’t supporter jet.

3. Amario Wednesday December 12th, 2012 at 09:59 AM - Reply

Interessante

4. Mauro Wednesday December 12th, 2012 at 03:51 PM - Reply

Interessantissimo tutorial, ho acquistato anche io un nano router wireless della tp-link.

Proverò il tuo tutorial per rendere wireless alcuni dei miei progetti con arduino.

Grazie
    Mauro

5. Daj Friday December 21st, 2012 at 07:58 AM - Reply

Hello Sir Luca.nice tutorial!! Thats help me a lot!!
    Sir, what is the equivalent code of CLIENT.PRINT of official arduino to the enc28j60 ethernet shield to ethercard library. ? Hoping for your valuable reply sir. :)

• luca Friday December 21st, 2012 at 04:28 PM - Reply

Hello! It’s a bit more complex with this library… you have to “prepare” the response with Stash::prepare() and send it with ether.tcpSend().

6. Daj Saturday December 22nd, 2012 at 03:40 PM - Reply

Hello Sir. Thanks for the great idea. I’m planing to send this string data “Hello World”, its code in official arduino ethernet is CLIENT.PRINT(“HELLO WORLD”); . .is this right if i write the version of this code in ethercard like this:

Stash::prepare(“HELLO WORLD”);
    ether.tcpSend();

• luca Monday December 31st, 2012 at 12:33 PM - Reply

yes it should work…
      is your client a web browser?

7. Daj Tuesday January 1st, 2013 at 04:01 PM - Reply

THANK YOU for your response Sir Luca. I really appreciate it.
    My client is the arduino connect to visual basic using winsock. I’d found out that client.write is suitable for my application than client.print. Now, Sir Luca i would like to ask you again if what is client.write in ethercard library?. . I like your your tutorial very well. It helps beginners like us a lot. .!! :) thankyou very much. Happy New Year!!

8. Renato Aloi Thursday January 10th, 2013 at 05:15 AM - Reply

Great tutorial Luca! Thank you very much for this article! I had it done and woks like a charm. But there is a situation I am facing here… Working as a client, the router has no access to internet. I mean, any form of external links doesn’t work. I have tried loading a external CSS file and the HTML does not load at all. The browser keeps loading the page forever and never get it done… But the same page loads ok on wired connection. Do you know somehow to solve that? Any thoughts about that? Once again, thanks for the tutorial!

• luca Thursday January 10th, 2013 at 12:11 PM - Reply

Hi Renato,

if you configure the router as a “wireless client”, it acts as a PC or a smartphone connected to your network… you can forget it and consider it a “part” of your ethernet shield. How is your network configured? Have you got an ADSL router that connects you to Internet and also creates the local wireless network your TP-LINK is connected to?

9. bert Friday January 11th, 2013 at 09:53 AM - Reply

Thanks for your post, I tried it but for some reason I just can’t get the TP-link device to work with any of the wifi points I try and get it to connect to. It seems to connect to them but it doesn’t give my device and IP address, as DCHP is turned off I presume it acts as a bridge and should pass through any DCHP settings to the end device?

I’ve tried testing it using my laptop to see if it will give me a internet connection but for some reason it just won’t work. Any thoughts? Did you have to do any configuration on the wifi network you were connecting to? I’ve tried 3 and none of them seem to want to play ball.

Any help much appreciated, as it would be a great solution if I could get it working.

Best wishes

Bert

• luca Friday January 11th, 2013 at 08:23 PM - Reply

Hi Bert!

if you configure your TP-LINK as a client, it acts like a bridge so you need a different DHCP server on your network. I can assure you that the router doesn’t block DHCP requests or response, so for example my Arduino is able to get its dynamic IP from my ADSL router.

• Liber Wednesday March 6th, 2013 at 12:37 AM - Reply

Hello.
        First of all, nice post!

But as bert, I must say that I’m unable to make it work in client mode; it doesn’t connect to the wireless network. Does it work in a network with WPA2 security? Or it needs to use WEP security, or nothing at all?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Liber.

• luca Wednesday March 6th, 2013 at 10:04 AM - Reply

Hi Liber,

I can confirm you that it works with WPA2 security: I’m using it with that security protocol.

10. Kirill Sunday January 13th, 2013 at 11:21 AM - Reply

Hi!

I am using the TL-WR702N too. And I have wrote new article with link to you about the TL-WR702N:

11. Mikael Nyberg Friday January 18th, 2013 at 07:54 AM - Reply

I ordered one on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/150893487418?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    Device has Chinese User Interface and there is no information of this. What shall I do?

• luca Friday January 18th, 2013 at 11:18 PM - Reply

Hi Mikael,

it seems the exact model I own… I can change the interface’s language: did you try following the english manual linked in the auction?

• Mikael Nyberg Saturday January 19th, 2013 at 11:37 AM - Reply

I used Google tranlation to understand what do. From chinese to swedish works very well. Thanks for information how to use an AP in client mode. Mikael

12. Istrice Wednesday February 13th, 2013 at 06:34 PM - Reply

Salve stavo cercando le stesse librerie per la ethercard enc28j da utilizzare però in bascom in quanto l’implementazione del codice asm con questo linguaggio comportava una maggiore facilità di scrittura e una sensibile riduzione di codice macchina da caricare sull’atmega328… qualche giorno fa girando fra i siti e i link vari avevo trovato chi si stava occupando del porting… purtroppo non ho salvato quella pagina e nemmeno il link… qualcuno ha informazioni in merito? grazie

13. DMV Thursday February 14th, 2013 at 03:15 AM - Reply

Hi,
    This is close to what I am looking for, but was wondering if there is a way to just have the WR702N connected to the ethernet shield of the Arduino and connect to it with an iphone without the use of any other internet or computer. I am trying to make a project where the arduino can be accessed and send messages to an iphone or other device wirelessly.So the WR702N would be a stand alone AP. I cannot seem to figure this out.
    Thanks,
    D

• luca Thursday February 14th, 2013 at 08:56 AM - Reply

Hi! I think you may connect your iPhone with the router using an “ad hoc” wireless network, i.e. a wireless network between two devices without the need of an AP.

14. Dauhee Saturday February 23rd, 2013 at 10:08 PM - Reply

a raspberry pi model A + dongle is cheaper than wifi router + ethernet card + arduino . . . . . also have more processing power etc.

15. Darius Wednesday March 6th, 2013 at 10:20 PM - Reply

Hi, I am using a similar system to this. I have an Arduino board, ethernet shield and portable router. I give my laptop a fixed IP to access the router. I was wondering if you could suggest a way to connect my laptop to the internet at the same time, so I can control the Arduino remotely over the internet. Any thoughts? Thanks.

16. Ben Wednesday March 27th, 2013 at 05:04 PM - Reply

Hi, One issue i have is how to power it without a device to plug the USB into? The reason i got it was to make it wireless not having to connect to a PC. Any suggestions ? Check micro USB battery pack?

• luca Thursday March 28th, 2013 at 09:28 AM - Reply

Hi Ben! You can use any power supply with microusb connector (5V 1A minimum) or – for example – the Lipo Rider if you need a battery source.

17. André Saturday April 13th, 2013 at 10:41 PM - Reply

Dear Luca, please I bought the BL-MP01,

this dosen’t works with my arduino ethernet shield,only work how a cliente in my PC is it necessary to make somechanges in the Arduino program to work with BL-MP01? In my opinion it is similar to TL-WR702N.

Ciao

André

• luca Sunday April 14th, 2013 at 01:25 PM - Reply

Ciao Andrè

It should work, moving the switch in the “client” (= middle) position… no changes are required to the arduino sketch.

18. André Monday April 15th, 2013 at 12:24 AM - Reply

Dear Luca, so i think that i’m made some mistake, because I can’t acess my arduino shield by the IP adress that I put in my sketch, in your sketch you are using the IP 192.168.0.10 of your example above? In the router configuration are you using DHCP (Auto Config) or Static Mode (fixed IP)?
    Thanks
    André

• luca Tuesday April 16th, 2013 at 08:26 PM - Reply

Andrè,

when you use the router in “client” mode, you don’t need to configure IP address… it acts like a “transparent” bridge between the Arduino (with the assigned IP) and your wireless network: you have only to configure the wireless parameters (SSID, encryption…) to ensure your router can connect to your wifi.

19. alb3 Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 10:13 AM - Reply

ciao Luca!
    che versione di arduino hai usato?
    Arduino Ethernet Rev3 WITH PoE??

Posso alimentare il router tplink direttamente da arduino alimentato tramite una presa a muro?? (quindi evitando collegamenti col pc)

grazie!!!

• luca Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 11:06 AM - Reply

Ciao Albe,

attento: se usi Arduino Ethernet non puoi usare la libreria Ethercard, devi usare quella ufficiale e quindi rivedere i vari esempi.
      Per quanto riguarda l’alimentazione, Arduino non è in grado di fornire sufficiente corrente per il TPLink (che comunque viene fornito con il suo alimentatore a muro, non devi per forza collegarlo al PC).

• alb3 Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 01:29 PM - Reply

grazie della risposta immediata!!!
        … quindi cosa mi conviene usare? una qualsiasi e poi aggiungere un modulo ehternet esterno??

• luca Thursday May 23rd, 2013 at 07:15 PM - Reply

esatto, se vuoi seguire i miei tutorial ti serve un arduino qualsiasi (consigliato l’arduino uno) e uno shield basato su chip enc28j60

20. Mike Saturday June 1st, 2013 at 09:20 PM - Reply

Salve a tutti vi informo che arduino é in grado di alimentare perfettamente il nano router basta solo spillare i fili di un cavo micro USB e collegarsi a Vin e Gnd di arduino ed il gioco é fatto.

21. Sloba Wednesday July 10th, 2013 at 02:34 AM - Reply

How could ENC28J60 and Arduino wirelessly connect to the TL-VR702N then TL-VR702N ethernet cable to the internet modem?

• luca Wednesday July 10th, 2013 at 03:37 PM - Reply

Hello! The usage of TL-VR702N is different: it connects using the wire (ENC28J60 is an ethernet shield) to the shield and then it connects via wireless to a router/cable modem.

22. Sloba Thursday July 11th, 2013 at 03:25 PM - Reply

Yes, but when I changed enc ENC28J60 chip AN1284 wifi chip, how many is it feasible?

• luca Friday July 12th, 2013 at 01:45 PM - Reply

Are you trying to use the Microchip WiFi chip? You need a totally different library for that…

23. Paolo Tuesday September 24th, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Reply

Ciao Luca, il tuo tutorial era proprio quello che cercavo per far funzionare la mia Ethernet Shield con una rete wireless. Ho comprato il TP-LINK WR-702N e ho seguito i tuoi passaggi. Purtroppo però mi sono accorto che dopo aver settato a Client il TP, non riesco più ad entrarci con l’indirizzo 192.168.0.254. Questo sia collegando il cavo direttamente al PC, sia passando attraverso il mio router WiFi. La necessità di ricollegarmi a TP viene dal fatto che mi sono dimenticato di impostare i parametri di sicurezza della rete. Hai qualche consiglio?
    grazie

• luca Tuesday September 24th, 2013 at 12:44 PM - Reply

ciao Paolo

la cosa più veloce è fare il reset del router: a router acceso premi con una graffetta per 10 secondi il pulsante RESET. Al riavvio il router tornerà alle impostazioni di fabbrica.

24. Hamza Saturday November 30th, 2013 at 04:45 AM - Reply

I have Arduino Mega + ethernet shield + WR-702N router. I’m able to display the values on Analog input usin Arduino and ethernet shield. I want to do the same using the WR-702N router. Please, help me in this regard.

25. Hamza Saturday November 30th, 2013 at 12:16 PM - Reply

How to use client mode with ethernet shield, arduino mega 2560 and wr-702n router..?
    please give steps to configure

• luca Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 09:41 AM - Reply

Hi Hamza,

the client mode is independent from the device you connect: use the instructions in this blog post.

26. Jean Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 08:52 AM - Reply

Hi, is it possible to connect my arduino + ethernet shield to mysql database?
    For example: Arduino and ethernet shield connected to wireless router, and my laptop (with mysql database) is also connected to the wireless router. If it’s possible, can you give me the codes on how to do it?

• luca Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 09:37 AM - Reply

Hi Jean

there are a couple of MySQL drivers for Arduino, like the following one:

They are usually designed to work with the official ethernet shield… I found an interesting library for ENC28J60 that should be compatible with that code, give it a try.

• Jean Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 01:26 PM - Reply

thanks for the quick response. i already tried this one. but it didn’t work for me.
        [...]

• luca Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 01:57 PM - Reply

Hi Jean

sorry but I’ve no experience with that library so I can’t help you…

• Jean Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 02:23 PM -

Ok Luca, thanks. i’ll try it again using the sample you gave me. thankyou

27. Jean Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 01:42 PM - Reply

I have another question. How about using PIC16F877A and an Ethernet shield. is that also possible?

• luca Monday December 2nd, 2013 at 01:52 PM - Reply

Yes I think but you need to find/write compatible libraries…

• Jean Wednesday December 4th, 2013 at 10:10 AM - Reply

Hi Luca! what about using Atmega328 and ethernet shield? do you have any schematic diagram that I can use. And the program to save the data coming form my MCU to mysql databse. Sorry for having so many questions. Thanks in advance. :)

28. Jean Wednesday December 4th, 2013 at 10:11 AM - Reply
  29. Tim Sunday December 15th, 2013 at 04:06 PM - Reply

Ciao Luca, thanks for your great tutorial. I have realized a cabled network based on the WZ5100 breakout (Itead) with fixed IP’s sending and receiving a string over UDP. I want to transfer this to wireless with your wifi router solution. So I connected the modules with the WR702N, but somehow I didn’t manage to run this with fixed IP’s, to keep the units addressable. I even couldn’t ping them. Do you have any suggestions?

• luca Monday December 16th, 2013 at 02:13 PM - Reply

Hi Tim,

if you configure the router in “client mode”, it should be “transparent” in your network… are you sure it is connected to the wifi? You should be able to find the Arduino in the list of connected devices in your router/AP.

30. jason Friday December 27th, 2013 at 03:18 PM - Reply

hi luca! can you write a tutorial on how to connect an arduino+ethernetnet shield using the library ethercard and an additional library for mysql connector. thanks in advance :D

• luca Tuesday January 14th, 2014 at 06:59 PM - Reply

Hi Jason

unfortunately the MySQL library requires a “W5100-compatible” library… but the only one I found doesn’t work for the lack of free RAM.

31. ezio labruzzo Tuesday March 11th, 2014 at 02:46 PM - Reply

Ciao Luca. Io uso una shield W5100 che collegata direttamente al router via cavo funziona come server web utilizzando lo sketch d’esempio nell’ide. Il problema compare quando lo collego al tl-wr702n. Non funziona quasi mai e se dopo diversi reset del mio arduino uno finalmente diviene raggiungibile dal browser, dopo una decina di minuti ritorna il black out. Tieni conto che il tl-wr702n lo uso regolarmente per il decoder mysky sulla stessa rete. Ho cambiato hardware ma il problema permane. Puoi autarmi?

• luca Saturday March 15th, 2014 at 10:26 AM - Reply

ciao Ezio, purtroppo non ho lo shield con il W5100: posso dirti che con quello che ho io non riscontro problemi di blackout…