Type4me

luca 14/01/2013 15

PCB

I drew the PCB – using CADSoft Eagle – for it was possible to made it with hobbistic methods:

• all the components have through-hole packages;
  • it is single-sided (= all signals are routed on the bottom layer);
  • minimum track width is 15mil.

Building

After having made the PCB (at home or using an external service – for this project I tested OSHPark I’m going to review in a coming post), solder the components starting as usual from the smallest ones (resistors, capacitors…).

Download from Github’s repository the firmware Type4me.hex.

Connect your PIC programmer to the ICSP connector – please make sure Type4me is not connected to the USB port – and program the firmware:

In this PIC, PGC and PGD signals share the same PINs with D+ and D-. Those PINs are not 5V tolerant. Please verify that your programmer is able to choose the correct voltage or use the adapter Microchip sells.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

15 Comments »

1. Dario 14/01/2013 at 20:16 - Reply

Well done!
    By the way, why CCS?

• luca 14/01/2013 at 21:36 - Reply

Hi Dario,

thanks! I chose CCS mostly because of its great ready-to-use libraries, especially the USB stack. I tried to use the new “XC” microchip compiler but at the moment it’s not very mature and it’s hard to use it with Microchip USB stack so I gave up.

2. Chris 14/01/2013 at 23:29 - Reply

This is a perfect solution for me? Any kit availability?

• luca 15/01/2013 at 09:58 - Reply

Hi Chris,

not at the moment… but if you need a pre-programmed PIC or help for building it write me!

3. zaion 15/01/2013 at 09:11 - Reply

Good job. Now shrink it and sell it.

4. lucasvb 15/01/2013 at 09:45 - Reply

does the keyboard emulation work on linux too?

• luca 15/01/2013 at 09:55 - Reply

Yes: it’s a HID device so under Linux you don’t need any drivers.
      Actually CDC drivers are only for Windows, I haven’t tried if you can use “generic” drivers under Linux.

5. Chris 15/01/2013 at 18:21 - Reply

Does this have the ability to store multiple pieces of text? For instance, can I store 3 or 4 different items, and then pick which one I want?

• luca 15/01/2013 at 20:11 - Reply

Hi Chris,

not at the moment, the v1 of Type4me was kept intentionally simple… v2 will have more buttons (I think 4) and a GUI (to create complex sequences like the one shown to play MAME).

6. chris shaffer 17/06/2013 at 18:47 - Reply

Luca,
    I’m looking for a device that will enter Ctl-N with a button push. i want to put this button on the top of a bar code scanner. I’m thinking that your device will do this and it wouldn’t be a big deal to make the buttom remote from the board. Your thoughts?

Chris

• luca 17/06/2013 at 21:09 - Reply

Hi Chris

sending CTRL-N is not a problem at all! About remoting… I’d probably choose a couple of inexpensive nRF24L01.
      If you like, write me an email!

7. Mike Gordon 07/11/2013 at 17:04 - Reply

Luca,

This device would be perfect for a particular use case: copying a long complex password from a password vault running on 1 PC and “typing” it into the Windows password field on another.

Could we remove the “save to EEPROM” routine and just put a small battery on it to maintain the memory while moving it from one PC to the other? I’d also add an on/off switch to save battery when not in use and to force an erasure of the password. This would also prevent a technician from storing a password permanently in the unit, as sooner or later the battery would run out.

Also, could you add toggles in the GUI for !enter! vs !noenter!! and !save! vs not doing a !save! on each copy?
    Mike

8. Aldo 18/03/2015 at 22:46 - Reply

can I use this device to automatic typing ctrl-alt-canc and user/password for windows7 logging on a specified time?

Thanks,
    Aldo from Palermo

• luca 19/03/2015 at 11:25 - Reply

Hi Aldo, with some firmware modification, yes. A user has already implemented something similar to automatically change the BIOS password.

Chiudi