Nixie clock: 3 – RTC and expander

by luca
13 comments

In this third blog post, I’m going to show you the logical view of my Nixie clock and two of its main elements: the real time clock, to keep track of the current time, and the expander, to add more I/O lines.

Logical view

Here are my clock’s main elements:

[checklist]

• A power supply with 5V (for Arduino and modules) and 170V (for Nixie tubes) outputs;
  • an Arduino Mini;
  • a touch-sensor module (will be described in a following post);
  • an RTC module, connected via I2C bus;
  • an IC to add some I/O ports to Arduino, connected via I2C bus too;
  • four 74141 Nixie tube drivers;
  • four ZM1177 Nixie tubes.

[/checklist]

In the next page, some details about two of those elements…

Related Posts

13 comments

pitchoilcan Friday April 6th, 2012 - 06:19 AM

I get :error:
PCF8575_Led_rolling_Demo.cpp: In function ‘void loop()’:
PCF8575_Led_rolling_Demo.cpp:24:8: error: ‘class TwoWire’ has no member named ‘write’
PCF8575_Led_rolling_Demo.cpp:25:8: error: ‘class TwoWire’ has no member named ‘write’
I able to compile by change it for
Wire.write(low);
Wire.write(high);
to
Wire.send(low);
Wire.send(high);
but still now a blink from any of the LED’s. Are you using any resistor? I”ve tryed it using just the pcf8575 anf an arduino board, no RTC module. Is that doable and if so what I’m I doing wrong?

luca Tuesday April 10th, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi

You’re probably using an older (< 1.0) version of Arduino IDE... anyway you don't need a RTC module for this example, could you post your connections so I can check?

pitchoilcan Friday April 6th, 2012 - 07:15 AM Reply
Fernando Garcia Tuesday December 25th, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hello!

I’m trying to build a circuit with a RTC and a PCF8575 .

It happens that the RTC does not tell the correct time.
There must be some conflict.

The code I’m using to test is this:
[…]

Fernando Garcia Tuesday December 25th, 2012 - 06:43 PM

The code does not appear correctly.

Here’s a link to it.

Best regards.

luca Friday January 11th, 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hi Fernando,

are you using an Arduino Mega?

lucadentella.it – Macchina a stati finiti e Arduino Tuesday April 30th, 2013 - 09:27 PM

[…] Per leggere l’orario dal modulo RTC, ho scelto la libreria RTCLib fornita da Adafruit, già usata in un precedente post. […]

Dmitry Thursday March 19th, 2015 - 09:15 AM

Hello Luca.
Thanx for your manual!

Could you advise IO extender on 24 pins (for 6 tubes)?

I’ve found the Tca6424rgjr but probably there is something better.

luca Thursday March 19th, 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hi Dmitry… it depends on you: on the I2C bus you can connect more than one expander, therefore you can use 3 8-pins expanders or the one you found that works fine!

DRS Monday November 30th, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hi, where i can read more about power supply ?
Thx.

luca Tuesday December 1st, 2015 - 11:23 AM Reply
Mauro Tuesday September 6th, 2016 - 10:07 AM

non riesco a compilare NESSUN esempio che utilizza il pcf8575!
Ho scaricato le librerie da github le istallo ma gli esempi Blinkled non si compilano . dice che manca il file PCG8575.h.
Ho cercato altre libreria MA IN TUTTO L’UNIVERSO ESISTONO SOLO QUELLE SU GITHUB CHE NON FUNZIONANO !!
Dove sbaglio ?

Mauro Wednesday October 19th, 2016 - 02:57 PM

Devo usare tre 8575 in I2C e collegare ai pin digitali 2 e 3 di Arduino Nano il modulo Bluetooth HC-06 .
Le librerie 8575.h e SoftwareSerial.h sembra che non possano convivere assieme.
Con qualsiasi IDE con cui cerco di compilare mi da sempre:

SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_3′:
\\Srv01\dati\Comune\Arduino\IDE_ARDUINO\arduino-1.5.8\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:306: multiple definition of `__vector_3′
PCF8575\PCF8575.cpp.o:\\Srv01\dati\Comune\Arduino\IDE_ARDUINO\arduino-1.5.8\libraries\PCF8575/PCint.h:104: first defined here
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_4′:
\\Srv01\dati\Comune\Arduino\IDE_ARDUINO\arduino-1.5.8\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:313: multiple definition of `__vector_4′
PCF8575\PCF8575.cpp.o:\\Srv01\dati\Comune\Arduino\IDE_ARDUINO\arduino-1.5.8\libraries\PCF8575/PCint.h:107: first defined here
SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_5′:
\\Srv01\dati\Comune\Arduino\IDE_ARDUINO\arduino-1.5.8\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:320: multiple definition of `__vector_5′
PCF8575\PCF8575.cpp.o:\\Srv01\dati\Comune\Arduino\IDE_ARDUINO\arduino-1.5.8\libraries\PCF8575/PCint.h:110: first defined here
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status