Current sensor with Arduino

luca Tuesday November 29th, 2011 82

The following project was designed for a need: with my friend Davide I’m working on a model railway (Il Plastico di Davide e Luca): we needed to know how much current it uses to size our power supplies (booster)…

The sensor

For current measurement, I used ACS712 sensor from Allegro MicroSystems (here’s its datasheet). You can find 3 models of this integrated circuit, depending on the maximum measured current (5-20-30A); for our requirements I chose the 5A model.

ACS712 is very easy to use: voltage across VIOUT and ground PIN is proportional to current flowing between IP+ e IP-. It requires a power supply of 5V (VCC) and two capacitors to filter power supply and output; on its datasheet you can find the typical application:

The chip is sold in a SOIC package; SparkFun sells a convenient breakout board with ACS712 presoldered. I connected that board to a perfboard where I soldered the two capacitors and three PINs for Arduino connection:

Measurement

As I wrote, output voltage is proportional to input current. The value that links the two measurements is sensitivity (you can find it on the datasheet) which – for 5A model – has a typical value of 185mV/A. The sensor can measure positive and negative currents (range -5A…5A), so if input current is 0, output value is 2.5V.

We’re going to read output value with one of the analog inputs of Arduino and its analogRead() function. That function outputs a value between 0 (0V in input) and 1023 (5V in input) that is 0,0049V for each increment.

The formula you need to convert units from analogRead() to Ampere is:

Arduino

Arduino sketch is very simple: it reads the value on AN0 PIN, converts it with the formula above and sends the result to a Personal Computer via serial connection. My PC is running AnalogDemo software which plots data to a chart and updates a  feed on Pachube.

ACS712 measures an instant value; my first tests showed that the measure was too floating, that’s the reason why the sketch below reads 1000 values, computes an average and sends it to my PC. analogRead() needs about 0.1ms for each reading, if you want a value for each second, you need a delay of 1ms in the loop:

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {

float average = 0;
  for(int i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
    average = average + (.0264 * analogRead(A0) -13.51) / 1000;
    delay(1);
  }
  Serial.println(average);
}

Test

To test the accuracy of my sensor, I used a microcontrolled battery charger, with the ACS712 between its outputs and the battery pack in charging:

I was able to found a very close match between the output current shown by the charger and the values read by the current sensor.

Get on the train!

Last Saturday we used the circuit with our model railway, here you can read about the test and watch a short video with the circuit running during a small short-circuit.

Notes

If you read the sensor’s output with Arduino, you have a resolution of about 0,026A (the value you get from  analogRead() increases by a unit every 0.026A). To improve the resolution, you can add an opAmp which extends the output range; SparkFun again sells a breakout board with that improvement.

82 Comments »

1. hamvil Monday December 12th, 2011 at 10:03 AM - Reply

Hi, thanks for the very useful post. I do have a question: how do I choose the value for the two capacitors?

2. luca Monday December 12th, 2011 at 11:31 AM - Reply

Hello!
    You can use the values (1nF for filtering and 100nF as bypass) suggested in the datasheet.

3. Patrick Wednesday March 21st, 2012 at 11:57 PM - Reply

I tried your sketch, and have a .25A load (a lightbulb) and I am not seeing any current whatsoever.

I’m trying to measure current on 120V AC.

• luca Thursday March 22nd, 2012 at 03:28 PM - Reply

Hi Patrick,

are you using the same breakout board from SparkFun? Do you see anything on the serial terminal?

4. ardhitop Tuesday May 1st, 2012 at 09:53 AM - Reply

i have use this sketch for AC power supply, but the value that shown in serial monitor is very fluctuate.

is this sketch for DC only or i can use this sketch for AC?

thanks

• luca Tuesday May 1st, 2012 at 10:27 AM - Reply

Hi!

ACS712 is suitable for DC and AC… it gives you only the “actual” measure: as you can see my sketch calculate a mean of 1000 samples… try to increment that number and let me know!

5. vinicius Wednesday June 6th, 2012 at 12:13 PM - Reply

Please, could you help me about the ACS712?

I want to know about the low value that we can measure with ACS712. For example I need to measure a mobilep phone current, near to 20mA.
    Is it possible?

Thanks

6. oscarah Wednesday June 27th, 2012 at 01:25 PM - Reply

Hello,

I think that this sketch can’t be used to sense AC. The ACS712 will output the measure, but as the incomming current is bipolar (sometimes +I and sometimes -I), the value will change up and down. If you make an average, the result will be always around 0A (or 2.5V). I’m lookiing for another solution… :)

7. vinicius Saturday June 30th, 2012 at 06:33 PM - Reply

hi luca, I’m from Brazil. Thansks for your help. The project works well!

I have just one more question, please!

Why we use (-13, 51)?

Thanks again I’m very happy!

• luca Sunday July 1st, 2012 at 12:20 PM - Reply

Hi Vinicius!

On ACS712 datasheet you can find the “sensitivity” value, which is 185mV/A. Sensor’s output for 0A (= no current) is 2.5V, so if you need the current value, you have to substract 2.5/0,185 which is 13.51.
      bye

8. vinicius Thursday July 5th, 2012 at 09:13 PM - Reply

Luca Hello!

Please check this software, maybe it’s good for you.

Very easy to use and do not reset the Arduino every time you turn on or turn off the serial port.

Bye

9. PhilG Thursday July 12th, 2012 at 02:03 AM - Reply

Just to clarify, you’re working with a DC load not an AC load?

Doesn’t seem like this sketch would work for AC.

• luca Friday July 13th, 2012 at 07:22 PM - Reply

Yes: the sensor works also with AC load but you have to change the sketch…

10. Steve Pike Monday September 17th, 2012 at 07:59 PM - Reply

This all makes sense except I can’t understand why it will give values below -5A and above +5A:

If you put the value 0 in your equation for units, you get -13.51 out. If the sensor can only sense between -5 and +5, how do we get all these values outside that range?

Thanks

• luca Saturday September 22nd, 2012 at 02:34 PM - Reply

Hi Steve,

Have a look to ACS712′s datasheet, page 7: you can find the chart “output voltage vs sensed current”. The output voltage never goes below 1.5V so Arduino’s read value will never be 0. That means you’re not using the complete range of Arduino’s ADC and that’s the reason why SparkFun added an opAmp.

bye

11. Sheldon Monday September 17th, 2012 at 11:12 PM - Reply

Hey there,

Great tutorial. I have one question though. I am using the breakout from sparkfun:

and I am having a problem working with the gain and vref pots.

I dont quite have a good understanding of this. Could you please explain this to me.

This is for my design project at my universtity which is due in a few days time.

Would really appreciate your advice. Thanks

sheldonreddy@gmail.com

• luca Saturday September 22nd, 2012 at 02:41 PM - Reply

Hi Sheldon,

SparkFun added an opAmp to their board to let you choose the output range of ACS712.
      They suggest you this calibration method:
      - connect the board to Arduino and read output value without any current flowing in the sensor… move Vref pot to choose the “offset” value (for example move it until you read 512)
      - now use a known current value, let’s say you need to measure a max of 1A: use this value and move gain pot until you read 1023 (which is the maximum value Arduino’s ADC can read)
      Now your sensor can read -1A – 1A with the maximum available resolution (1024 steps), each step is 1/512 = 0,002A

bye

12. Federico Monday October 15th, 2012 at 08:55 PM - Reply

Ciao Luca
    Ho realizzato il progetto ma mi sono reso conto che la risoluzione di lettura della corrente non è sufficiente, quindi vorrei acquistare la breakout board con operazionale incluso per rilevare valori dell’ordine di pochi mA. Dal sito ufficiale leggo che per diminuire il rumore dovuto all’alto guadagno la larghezza di banda viene ridotta da 80 KHz a 34 Hz. Questo influisce sulla frequenza di acquisizione del dato? attualmente utilizzo 1000 rilevazioni al secondo mediate, come da tuo sketch, e non vorrei diminuire. Ti ringrazio per l’attenzione e per quanto ho trovato utile il tuo lavoro. Federico

• luca Tuesday October 16th, 2012 at 04:26 PM - Reply

Ciao Federico,

sì, influisce: 34Hz significa che il chip non sarà in grado di “leggere” variazioni nell’intensità della corrente più rapide di 1/34 di secondo. Questo significa che campionare a 1KHz (= 1000 campioni al secondo) è inutile, puoi abbassarlo appunto a 30 circa, che comunque ritengo sufficienti visto che eseguirai una media tra tali campioni.
      Fammi sapere come va!

13. Pixel Wednesday October 17th, 2012 at 02:27 PM - Reply

Ciao,
    Luca complimenti per il blog ricco di spunti interessanti. Ho da poco acquistato l’ACS714 perché avrei in mente di monitorare la corrente assorbita in casa. La domanda è la seguente il criterio per determinare il valore corretto di corrente è lo stesso anche a 230 Volt in corrente alternata?

• luca Thursday October 18th, 2012 at 09:06 AM - Reply

Grazie Pixel! Sì, il sensore è pensato anche per corrente alternata e dal datasheet leggo che supporta tensioni > 230V.
      Fammi sapere come va!

14. Pixel Thursday October 18th, 2012 at 04:06 PM - Reply

Ciao,
    grazie per la risposta… ho un dubbio relativo alla mirura del valore medio. In giro ho letto che la lettura della corrente in alternata deve essere effettuata facendo la media un pò diversamente. Tu hai qualche informazione aggiuntiva da darmi? Grazie

• luca Friday October 19th, 2012 at 07:48 AM - Reply

Ciao! In effetti per la corrente alternata normalmente si utilizza il valore RMS, che devi calcolare prendendo il valore di picco e dividendolo per la radice di 2… preparerò un esempio di sketch!

15. Pixel Friday October 19th, 2012 at 08:08 PM - Reply

Mitico….
    terrò d’occhio il blog…

Grazie e Saluti

16. AceTK Saturday October 27th, 2012 at 01:45 PM - Reply

Hi when I use the sensor i get:

2.35v = 0A
    2.36 = 0.06A
    2.37 = 0.1A 511 512 514 517
    2.39v = 0.2A 515 522
    2.41v = 0.3A
    2.42v = 0.4A
    2.44v = 0.5A
    2.46v = 0.6A
    2.48v = 0.7A

The values in the 500′s being the raw analog pin readings that seem to jump around. This sensor is the 5A version and i thought it was supposed to be 2.5v to 5v ie 512 to 1023 0 – 5A. At present it seems really restricted and notchy due to its wavering inaccuracy. Is this broken? Kind Thanks

• luca Sunday October 28th, 2012 at 11:52 AM - Reply

Hi!

your sensor has a sensitivity of 185mV/A, so at its maximum (5A) you should read an output voltage of 3,425V: take a look at its datasheet, you can find a chart that plots A/Vout. With 0A you should read 2.5V, your value (2.35) seems to low; did you use the correct capacitors?

17. paul Sunday October 28th, 2012 at 05:10 AM - Reply

ciao luca, i’m using acs712 30A with your sketch (11.54Vdc and 12Vdc 10W globe as a test) without editing your sketch I get a reading of 0.30 which seems to low, i’m calculating 0.83, but when i edit the sketch to change sensitivity to 66mV/A i get 10.03A
    where am i going wrong?

18. gianfranco Monday December 3rd, 2012 at 04:02 PM - Reply

Salve luca,

sarebbe possibile utilizzare secondo te l’ACS 712 per rilevare la corrente in uscita al differenziale di casa tramite arduino? O è piu consigliato un dispositivo meno invasivo, quale ad esempio una pinza amperometrica, sempre pilotata con arduino? Ovviamente preferirei la scelta piu economica…e piu efficiente, dato che vorrei usare il sistema per monitorare l’uso di corrente in casa ed evitare che scatti il contatore, magari sfruttando un avviso acustico (sempre pilotato da arduino).

Grazie mille in anticipo

19. paul Wednesday February 20th, 2013 at 03:42 PM - Reply

What is the range of values displayed in the serial monitor of arduino?

• luca Wednesday February 20th, 2013 at 04:02 PM - Reply

Hi Paul,

it depends on the sensor you’re using… ACS712 is rated -5/+5A

20. paul Wednesday February 20th, 2013 at 05:18 PM - Reply

My serial port value is not varying with the load current.It is remaining a constant value.I think it is not the problem of my circuit.I had checked the circuit several times.Can you suggest a solution for this ?

• luca Wednesday February 20th, 2013 at 05:20 PM - Reply

Paul: try reading the “raw” output value of the sensor with a multimeter: if it does change it could be a problem of the analog pin of your Arduino

21. paul Wednesday February 20th, 2013 at 05:47 PM - Reply

i had tried that.But the multimter value is not changing.It remains constant.What may be the problem?

• luca Thursday February 21st, 2013 at 04:10 PM - Reply

post a schematics of your sensor… how are you changing the current in it? which value do you read on your multimeter?

22. himanshu amrutiya Wednesday February 27th, 2013 at 10:04 AM - Reply

excellent work….keep it up friend…thankyou…:)

23. hatuari Saturday March 9th, 2013 at 02:47 AM - Reply

i have a 5a model of acs712 sensor. i had tried use the equation(above) to find current value. if the adc value is 1024, result is 13.49a. but result should be 5a for 1024. where do i make mistake can you suggest anything about this situation?

• luca Saturday March 9th, 2013 at 10:12 AM - Reply

Hello! With 5A, the ACS712 sensor won’t output 5V (look at its datasheet, pag.7), but a value near 3.5V that analogRead() reads 711.

24. Nikita Tuesday April 2nd, 2013 at 06:36 PM - Reply

Hello luca,
    Thank you for this very helpful post.
    I’d like to measure AC current, but I can not find a sketch in internert and do not get it myself.
    Can you or anyone else please give me such a sketch.

• luca Monday April 8th, 2013 at 08:01 PM - Reply

Hi Nikita,

the sensor measures the “actual” current, so for AC you need to decide which “value” do you want to measure.
      You usually want the RMS value, that – assuming your wave is a true sine – is 0.707 times the peak value… so you need to write a sketch that measures several values, find the maximum (= peak) and calculates the RMS value.

25. Andre Luiz Sunday April 7th, 2013 at 01:34 AM - Reply

Hello, very good design.

I did the same thing in my project that only the current sensor captures a peak current and then back to 0, I do not know what’s going on, I think he gets the current instant. Do you think my sensor may be the problem? he is not the SparkFun.

• luca Monday April 8th, 2013 at 08:06 PM - Reply

Hi Andre, is the current in your project alternate?

26. Andre Luiz Sunday April 21st, 2013 at 07:52 PM - Reply

Hello Luca,

I am want to measure the current of a fan, I used the same example but its current returns is zero, to measure AC is different?

• luca Friday April 26th, 2013 at 02:07 PM - Reply

Hi Andre,

AC current rapidly changes, so you have to decide “which” value you want to measure. Usually, they choose the RMS value, which is the maximum value / sqrt(2). I’m going to write a tutorial about it, so stay tuned!

27. Pier Tuesday May 7th, 2013 at 02:55 PM - Reply

Ciao,
    ti scrivo perchè c’è qualcosa che non mi torna molto.

Tu scrivi questa formula:
    A = 0,026 * units – 13,51

Il sensore riesce a leggere tra -5A e 5A.
    units varia tra 0 e 1023.
    quindi in linea di principio quando esce 1023 dovrei avere 5A.

Per cui faccio questa prova sostituendo a units il valore 1023 nella tua formula è il risultato ottenuto è: 13,088A differente da quei 5A che mi aspettavo.

C’è qualcosa che non torna oppure è tutto giusto?

Se è tutto giusto avendo il sensore da 20A questa formula è corretta?
    A= (0.0049 * units – 2,5)/0,1

• luca Tuesday May 7th, 2013 at 06:45 PM - Reply

Ciao Pier

l’errore nel tuo assunto è che l’uscita del sensore, per 5A, sia 1023 ovvero 5V. In realtà se guardi il grafico sul datasheet, vedrai che la sensibilità del sensore è 185mV/A, centrata a 2.5V. Quindi con 5A di corrente avrai una tensione in uscita di 3,425 e una lettura dell’ADC di Arduino di 712.

• Pier Wednesday May 8th, 2013 at 02:15 PM - Reply

e quindi per il sensore da 20A sapendo che la sensibilità è 100mV/A è giusta?

A= (0.0049 * units – 2,5)/0,1

• luca Monday May 13th, 2013 at 09:49 AM - Reply

28. Andre Luiz Saturday May 11th, 2013 at 04:19 AM - Reply

Hello Luca,

I bind AC load sensor and the connecting pin to pin Vout analog Arduino, the value read at the input A0 would be the current through the sensor. Am I right or wrong? When I put a load sensor my AC does not alter the value of output (it works as if current = 0).

For load DC the sensor works correctly.

• luca Monday May 13th, 2013 at 09:39 AM - Reply

Hi Andre

with AC loads, the output of the sensor should rapidly change following the voltage. Which value do you get from your A0 pin? Try reading it many times…

29. Federico Monday May 13th, 2013 at 06:00 PM - Reply

Ciao Luca
    ho seguito il tuo consiglio e acquistato la breakout board di sparkfun con stadio amplificatore, però non riesco ad effettuare una misurazione stabile.
    Il mio obiettivo è quello di misurare affidabilmente valori di corrente nell’ordine dei pochi mA, con una risoluzione massima di 1mA, meglio se 0.5mA. Credi che sia un traguardo raggiungibile? Ho seguito le istruzioni per la calibrazione del sensore utilizzando i tuoi valori di riferimento (0A e Vref a circa 512bit – 1A 1023bit). I problemi sorti sono due:
    - Una volta terminata la calibrazione il valore calcolato con la tua formula, senza alcuna corrente nel sensore risultava di circa mezzo Ampere. Utilizzando il sensore amplificato devo utilizzare una formula diversa da quella espressa sopra?
    - La lettura dei valori risulta sempre molto instabile, infatti i 512 bit di calibrazione non sono stati molto accurati. Questa fluttuazione è normale?
    Ti ringrazio in anticipo, e complimenti per il tuo impegno in questo blog e nell’aiutare la comunità.

• luca Tuesday May 14th, 2013 at 08:44 AM - Reply

Ciao Federico,

purtroppo no, non è raggiungibile a causa delle caratteristiche fisiche del sensore (guarda le FAQ del produttore). Utilizzando cmq il modulo amplificato (a cui dedicherò un prossimo articolo) la formula va adattata in base ai settaggi del potenziometro.

• Federico Tuesday May 14th, 2013 at 01:52 PM - Reply

Grazie Luca
        purtroppo per le mie esigenze dovrò optare per uno strumento decisamente più costoso, ma apprezzo molto la tua dedizione.
        Continuerò a seguire il tuo blog, in attesa del prossimo progetto ;)

30. mado Saturday May 18th, 2013 at 12:40 PM - Reply

if my load is a resistor and i connect this sensor in parallel in as much its small internal resistance most of the current of the source will pass in this sensor and it will be maximum and that mean it won’t be the real load current when i remove the sensor

• luca Sunday May 19th, 2013 at 08:07 PM - Reply

Hi!

This sensor must be connected in series with your load.

31. Massimo Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 10:09 PM - Reply

ti scrivo perché ho comprato quattro di questi sensori: 1 da 5A f.s, 1 da 20A f.s, 1 da 30A f.s, e 1 da 50A f.s., con la convinzione che bastasse collegarli ad un voltmetro da qualche Volts fondo scala per poter leggere una corrente senza bisogno di utilizzare un amperometro dotato shunt. Ho costruito degli alimentatori e dei caricabatteria, e volevo misurare la corrente erogata con un amperometro che non avesse shunt. Di qui la scelta dei sensori. Ebbene mi sono sbagliato in pieno, dopo aver provato i sensori ho dovuto constatare che questi circuiti si limitano generare una tensione su un piedino d’uscita che decresce con l’aumentare della corrente che scorre al suo interno e, con un voltmetro, si misura soltanto una tensione variabile ma che non ha nulla a che vedere con un valore di corrente.
    Ora, ti chiederei la cortesia di fornirmi il tuo parere per sapere se è possibile interfacciarli con dell’elettronica ed utilizzarli abbinati ad uno strumentino digitale da pannello, oppure devo buttarli in un cassetto.
    Naturalmente non mi riferisco ad Arduino, perché non so neppure cosa sia.
    Spero di poter leggere una tua gradita risposta.
    Grazie e cordialità.

• luca Saturday June 8th, 2013 at 12:32 PM - Reply

Ciao Massimo

i sensori restituiscono in uscita una tensione che è “linearmente proporzionale” alla corrente che li attraversa (guarda il grafico sul datasheet). Per poter calcolare la corrente una volta letta la tensione devi però effettuare qualche “calcolo”, usando la formula A = (V – 2,5) / 0.185, quindi ad esempio se leggi 3V, la corrente che attraversa il sensore sarà circa 2.7A.

32. Alessio Friday June 14th, 2013 at 02:51 PM - Reply

ho letto questo tuo scritto svariato tempo fa quando ho cominciato a pensare al mio progettino per monitorare tra l’altro i consumi elettrici di casa. Già allora lessi che la tua formula andava bene per la corrente continua ma che bisognava fare altri calcoli per la AC. Da quel che ho letto nei vari reply non è ancora esplicitato come dovrebbe essere il calcolo secondo te quindi, col tuo permesso, incollo qui il metodo che ho sviluppato io e che è attualmente operativo sul mio arduino con risultati accettabili.

*********************************************
    float watt0; // Potenza letta dal sensore su A0

void loop(){

watt0 = rilevaConsumo(sensorPin0); // Rilevazione dal Sensore A0

}

// Lettura dei dati dei Sensori ACS712 20A
    // Le letture istantanee del sensore da parte di Arduino forniscono quello che ho chiamato il numero di Step.
    // Dallo Step posso ricavare Volt e Ampère (basandomi sui dati del Datasheet) ma dovendo leggere un valore Alternato (corrente Alternata)
    // è inutile che faccio calcoli per determinare una grandezza istantanea che non mi serve.
    // Per calcolare il Consumo ( P = V * I * cosFi) ho bisogno di ricavare dalle letture il Valore Efficace della Corrente.
    // Anziché calcolare la corrente istantanea ad ogni lettura e poi estrarne il valore efficace ho calcolato il valore efficace delle letture
    // e con quello ho poi calcolato il Valore Efficace della Corrente.
    // Ovviamente il calcolo prevede una certa approssimazione poiché la tensione non è quasi mai esattamente 220V e dopo
    // un po di test ho adottato un cosFi di 0,9

float rilevaConsumo(const uint8_t sensore){
    // float lettura;
    float totLetture;
    // double rmsLetture;
    // float ampere;
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000; i++) { // 1000 letture sono un campione più che sufficiente di letture.
    // lettura = analogRead(sensore) – 511;
    // rmsLetture = rmsLetture + sq(lettura); // Sommatoria del quadrato delle letture.
    totLetture = totLetture + sq(((float)analogRead(sensore)) – 511); // Sommatoria del quadrato delle letture.
    delay(1);
    }
    // float risultato = 220 * ((float)((double)sqrt(totLetture/1000)) * .048828) * .9;
    // Serial.println(risultato);
    // rmsLetture = sqrt(totLetture/1000); // Valore Efficace delle Letture (Radice Quadrata della Media del Quadrato delle Letture)
    // ampere = rmsLetture * .048828;
    // return 220 * ampere * .9;
    return 220 * ((float)((double)sqrt(totLetture/1000)) * .048828) * .9;
    }
    *********************************************

Gradirei un tuo parere ;0)

• luca Monday June 17th, 2013 at 09:16 PM - Reply

Ciao Alessio!

direi che è ottimo: grazie per averlo condiviso!

33. Carlos Araujo Friday June 21st, 2013 at 06:07 AM - Reply

i already desing a sketch for ac , it works, im working to make it better its some one need help, just ask me at araujo.inl@gmail.com

34. MEHDI SAADATMAND Tuesday September 10th, 2013 at 05:55 AM - Reply

HI
    I AM INTERESTED ARDUINO.
    I TRY ACS712 CONNECT TO 220 VOLTS FOR MEASURE CURRENT WATER PUMP 1 PHASE ,1 HP, BUT I AM SELF CONTAINED . I LIKE KNOW CALCULATE FORMULA CURRENT FOR ARDUINO FOR ACS712 FOR AC CURRENT .
    PLEASE HELP ME.
    TANK YOU

• luca Tuesday September 10th, 2013 at 08:13 AM - Reply

Hi Mehdi,

for AC current, you usually want the “RMS” value, which is the peak value / sqrt(2)

35. israel Thursday September 12th, 2013 at 03:03 PM - Reply

very nice design.
    but i would like know what is the use of the samples

• luca Tuesday September 17th, 2013 at 09:08 AM - Reply

Hi Israel, you need to grab many samples if the waveform is variable (like the AC) to find the max or average value

36. Bennie Friday September 20th, 2013 at 09:21 AM - Reply

Thank you for a very good page. I have a ACS712-20A (sensitivity is 100mV/A) connected to a PIC16F818. Al circuit connections are correct. A powersupply is connected to the ACS712 through a 10R 10W resistor. I always get a reading which is about .06 too low. Formula used is (reading – 511) * 49. Any help please ?
    Thank you.

37. MEHDI Tuesday September 24th, 2013 at 07:22 AM - Reply

Hi, luca,
    thank you for your page. i think sensor need current more than 1 amp.
    i think circuit should be current more than 1 A.
    FOR EXAMPLE : ADAPTER OUTPUT 2 A ,9 V –
    IS IT CORRECT ?

• luca Tuesday September 24th, 2013 at 12:40 PM - Reply

Hi Mehdi,

the sensor I used can measure up to 5A but the ACS family has also ICs for 10-20A

38. Zaighum Tuesday October 8th, 2013 at 12:46 PM - Reply

Hi luca
    Just for making sure , will this ic work at 220V AC .
    Thanks for advice .

• luca Tuesday October 8th, 2013 at 01:00 PM - Reply

Yes, it works fine!

39. MEHDI Saturday October 12th, 2013 at 08:02 AM - Reply

HI
    I AM TRY FOR ACS712 GET CURRENT BUT I CAN NOT IT .
    FOR EXAMPLE :LIGHTING DC -12 VOLTS , I =3.2 A MESSURE MOLTIMETR.
    BUT WHEN CONNECT TO ARDUINO SERIAL ——–>NUMBER RESULT 0.02 mA .
    I CONFIUSE .
    PLEASE HELP ME.

• ewe Tuesday October 22nd, 2013 at 06:10 PM - Reply

@MEHDI Wrong formula i would guess… Maybe you should write less caps but more content – this would make helpful guesses more likely ;)

40. Awais Tuesday December 3rd, 2013 at 08:28 PM - Reply

Sir the same code can work for acs714?

• luca Wednesday December 4th, 2013 at 08:51 AM - Reply

Hi! Yes, it has the same sensitivity (185mV).

41. Davide Saturday December 7th, 2013 at 11:50 AM - Reply

Ciao Luca, qualche post fa Alessio aveva postato lo sketch per la misura della potenza istantanea approssimata.
    Potresti ripostarla in maniera più semplificata e completa?
    Grazie

• Alessio Tuesday December 31st, 2013 at 02:20 PM - Reply

Ciao Davide,
      quale è la parte che ti risulta più ostica?
      Di quello che ho incollato la maggior parte è commentata. In realtà solo poche righe (quelle non commentate) sono il risultato finale.
      Se posso esserti d’aiuto, son qui.

Alessio ;0)

42. Faisal Candrasyah Monday January 13th, 2014 at 07:00 AM - Reply

Can you give me another great tutorial on how measuing AC current with the acs712? Thanks

43. Davide Thursday January 30th, 2014 at 11:56 PM - Reply

Ciao Alessio, ho provato il tuo sketch e mi restituisce una serie di errori in fase di compilazione.
    L’ho riscritto in questo modo, soltanto per riverale la corrente, viene compilato ma il risultato non è soddisfaciente, è una specie di contatore in avanti.
    Inoltre potresti spiegarmi il significato del comando ‘sq’ ?
    Io ho scritto questo:
    #include
    LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 53, 51, 49, 47);

float Sensore = 0;
    float totLetture;
    float Corrente = 0;

void setup() { ; }

void loop() {

for(int i = 0; i < 1000; i++)
    {
    Sensore = analogRead(A2) -511;
    totLetture = totLetture + sq(Sensore);
    Corrente = (sqrt(totLetture/1000)) * 0.07398;
    delay(1);
    }

lcd.begin(16, 2);
    lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
    lcd.print(Corrente);

}

• Alessio Thursday February 13th, 2014 at 10:23 AM - Reply

Ciao Davide,
      sugli errori di compilazione non so cosa dirti, di tutto quello che ho postato sopra in realtà le righe utili non commentate dovrebbero essere solo queste:

float rilevaConsumo(const uint8_t sensore){
      float totLetture;
      delay(1);
      }
      return 220 * ((float)((double)sqrt(totLetture/1000)) * .048828) * .9;
      }

se chiami questo metodo passandogli l'identificativo del pin a cui è collegato il sensore dovrebbe restituirti la potenza assorbita in quel momento.

Il Valore Efficace di una grandezza sinusoidale è dato dalla Radice Quadrata della Media del Quadrato delle Letture.
      Il comando sq() eleva al quadrato il valore messo tra parentesi. Quindi con questo comando eseguo il quadrato delle letture che poi sommo nel totLetture e poi ne estraggo la media facendo totLetture/1000.
      Quindi alla fine del for(), dopo che ho totalizzato 1000 letture faccio il conto finale ovvero la radice quadrata ( sqrt() ) della media del quadrato delle letture ( totLetture/1000 )
      Il comando sqrt() fa la radice quadrata del valore messo tra parentesi. Quindi sqrt(totLetture/1000) mi da praticamente il Valore Efficace delle letture eseguite che moltiplicato per .048828 (per il sensore da 20A) o .07398 nel tuo caso, si ottiene il Valore Efficace della Corrente.

In pratica se prendi il mio metodo e cambi il return con:
      return ((double)sqrt(totLetture/1000)) * .048828;
      dovrebbe restituirti il Valore Efficace della Corrente.

Per quel che riguarda il tuo sketch riscritto, non l'ho provato ma ad occhio direi che il problema del "contatore in avanti" è dovuto al fatto che non azzeri il totLetture prima di entrare nel for(). Questo comporta che totLetture è in continuo incremento (fino al limite del contenibile da un float, dopodiché dovrebbe ripartire da zero).
      Comunque, basta che prima del for() metti un totLetture = 0;
      Inoltre il calcolo della Corrente (Corrente = (sqrt(totLetture/1000)) * 0.07398;) è inutile all'interno del for(). Mettilo fuori, dopo il for().

Fammi sapere.

Alessio.

• Alessio Thursday February 13th, 2014 at 10:26 AM - Reply

P.S.: Recentemente, a causa in un cortocircuito in casa, m’è esploso uno degli ACS712…. e l’altro ha smesso di funzionare :0/
        Passerò a qualcosa di Non Invasivo.

44. Davide Sunday February 16th, 2014 at 04:11 PM - Reply

Ciao Alessio, in effetti con quelle modifiche è tutto ok, non azzeravo TotLetture. grazie.